FCC Asks for Input on Video Description
Lisa Rose
2013-07-10 15:25:55 UTC
I know many folks here may have an interest in submitting feedback,
suggestions, etc. re usability issues specific to the accessibility of video
programming via the internet. I know some have asked me how they can submit
such feedback (as many do not ordinarily get this info). So... am passing
along the below to you all.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME YOUR FEEDBACK - I do not work for the FCC and am simply
passing this info along to the community of CHI folks - folks who may not
otherwise have received this. I have no opinion on anything here and whatever
you send me on this will just likely get deleted and possibly even unread. So
like other info you may not find of interest, simply take what you need here
and file or leave the rest.

Best to all,
LjRose
FCC Asks for Input on Video Description
On June 25, 2013, the FCCs Media Bureau released a public notice asking for
information about video description for programs shown on television and for
television programs delivered on the Internet. Video description is the
insertion of audio narrated descriptions of a television programs key visual
elements into natural pauses between the programs dialogue, which makes video
programming accessible to individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
This inquiry about video description is required by the Twenty-First Century
Communications and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA). The CVAA also requires the
FCC to report to Congress about the results of this inquiry.
Specifically, the FCC wants information about the availability, use, and
benefits of video description on television programs; the technical and
creative issues associated with providing video description; and the financial
costs of providing video description for television program owners and
providers. The FCC also wants information about the technical and operational
issues, costs, and benefits of providing video descriptions for
Internet-delivered television programs.
Comment Due Date: September 4, 2013
Reply Comment Due Date: October 2, 2013
Word: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-1438A1.docx
PDF: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-1438A1.pdf
For additional information, contact Maria Mullarkey of the Media Bureau
Policy Division ***@fcc.gov or (202) 418-2120.

ljroseOnline.com____________________

NOTE: Unsolicited email will automatically trigger submission of an *IC3
(*formal complaint to the FBI). When in doubt, DON'T.