Developing with Accessibility Event
l***@ljroseOnline.com
2012-07-17 15:41:51 UTC
FYI - for HCI folks who see accessbility as vital to usability...
Subject: Developing with Accessibility Event
Date: July 17, 2012 7:34:49 AM PDT
When: September 6-7, 2012
Time: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM on each of two days
Where: FCC Commission Meeting Room and training rooms
The FCCs Accessibility and Innovation Initiative (A&I) is planning an event
called "Developing with Accessibility," at the FCCs headquarters on September
6 and 7, 2012. The event is designed to spur increased collaboration on
accessibility solutions among developers from industry, consumer, and
government sectors. The event will encourage the use of accessibility APIs
(application programming interfaces), as well as publicly available data sets,
in order to build accessible apps for mobile phones and websites. A key
objective is to promote the concept and practice of developing applications
with regard for generally-accepted accessibility guidelines, thereby
maximizing their usability for everyone, including people with disabilities.
The event will offer training on development topics, in-person collaboration
on programming projects, and professional networking among developers. As
important as the actual event itself will be collaborative activity in
electronic spaces before, during, and after the event. Rather than limit this
to accomplishments that can be achieved during a single, in-person event, this
Developer event is not intended to be an end in itself, but will instead serve
as an organizing opportunity to create mechanisms for ongoing collaboration
among developers who are interested in building accessible technology
solutions.
It is also a goal of the A&I to make smart use of new media tools to create
electronic spaces for such collaboration. We encourage others to also
activate online collaboration spaces associated with this effort. To this
end, we suggest use of a particular abbreviation, "DevAcc," as an electronic
tag that facilitates searching and coordination toward these objectives.
Please pre-register for the event by sending your name, affiliation, and
If there are particular ways that you'd like to participate, or related
activities that you'd like to inform us about, also feel free to write to
The meeting site is fully accessible to people using wheelchairs or other
mobility aids. Open captioning and assistive listening devices will be
provided on site. Other reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities
are available upon request. Include a description of the accommodation you
will need and tell us how to contact you if we need more information. Make
your request as early as possible. Last minute requests will be accepted, but
may be impossible to fill. Send an e-mail to: ***@fcc.gov or call the
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau at 202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432
(tty).
The general session of the event will be webcast with open captioning at
http://fcc.gov/live